[thelist] meo GMT Offset

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Sat Jun 22 22:47:01 CDT 2002

   From: "lon.kraemer" <lwkraemer at directvinternet.com>
   Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:34:46 -0500

   Daylight savings time set varies:
   +1 hour - 1st Sunday in April
   -1 hour - Last Sunday in October

   NOTE: Does not apply in Arizona or, IIRC, Indiana.

parts of Indiana.  state.in.us might have a clue, if you really care.  it should
also be noted that this only applies in the us and canada(?).  England and other
places that use 'summer time' have other dates for it.

as for the actual question from the poster, lon's answer is correct: daylight
savings time in the USA is from the first Sunday in April (officially 2am sunday
morning) to the last Sunday in October (again, officially at 2am Sunday
morning).

   > I really need to take the
   > hardwiring out of my code and replace it with something that'll adjust for
   > daylight savings.

emacs-style (elisp?), copied from *Customize Group: Holidays* (under Local):
((if
     (progn
       (require 'cal-dst)
       t)
     (funcall 'holiday-sexp calendar-daylight-savings-starts
              '(format "Daylight Savings Time Begins %s"
                       (if
                           (fboundp 'atan)
                           (solar-time-string
                            (/ calendar-daylight-savings-starts-time
                               (float 60))
                            calendar-standard-time-zone-name)
                         ""))))
	 (funcall 'holiday-sexp calendar-daylight-savings-ends
              '(format "Daylight Savings Time Ends %s"
                       (if
                           (fboundp 'atan)
                           (solar-time-string
                            (/ calendar-daylight-savings-ends-time
                               (float 60))
                            calendar-daylight-time-zone-name)
                         ""))))

good luck translating that to something useful. . . :)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ members.evolt.org/jswiders

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one:
'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
  -- Voltaire