[thelist] Target=_blank or back button?

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sun Jun 23 01:00:10 CDT 2002

Chris W. Parker wrote:
 >> -----Original Message----- From: Janet Green
 >> [mailto:JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com]
 >>
 >> Theories, thoughts, suggestions... on when it's appropriate to open
 >> a link in a new browser window vs. simply using the back button?
 >> Thanks!
 >
 > when you are linking outside of your site.

I disagree.

What I do if I'm planning on browsing with a lot of windows open is
middle-click on every link I want to read later, then when I'm finished
reading the linking site, I left-click on the final link.  It's
extremely irritating if my left-clicking on the final link I'd like to
read also opens a new window - it means I have to go back and close the
original window.  Not much of a bother, sure, but it all adds up over time.

Also, opening new windows like that can be considered rather rude.
/I'll/ decide what happens when I click on a link in my browser, thank
you.  If I don't like new javascript "console windows", then I can[0]
usually simply disable javascript and/or popup windows (in Mozilla both
are a single click in a toolbar), but I have no recourse[1] with
"target='_blank'"-type windows.

Yes, I know Zeldman does it.  That pisses me off, too.

[0] Assuming the web designer isn't remotely clueless

[1] Mozilla's "ignore target=blank" option seems to work only when it
     wants to.

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/