[thelist] Re: Hn tags

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Jun 25 13:38:01 CDT 2002

>Any professional writer understands Hn tags, because any writer has
>used headings. I still don't understand why so many others don't get it.

I think they're being scrambled by the markup syntax. I've seen a couple of
comments which appear to think of them as being "nested" in some manner, so
that when you go:

h1
h2
h3
h4

you would need to walk back up the nesting to get back to h2:

h3
h2

rather than seeing them as document structure tags:

h1 The Title
h2 major section
h3 minor section
h4 subtopic a
h4 subtopic b
h3 next minor section
h4 subtopic
h4 subtopic again
h2 next major section

An example (warning: US-centric references ahead)

h1 Sports Teams
h2 A Baseball Team
h3 Pitcher
h3 Catcher
h3 Infielders
h4 First base
h4 Second base
h4 Third base
h4 Shortstop
h3 Outfielders
h4 Left field
h4 Center field
h4 Right field
h2 A Football Team

and so on. Note that as much text as necessary may be placed between the
header tags.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224