[thelist] Opening Maximized Window

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Tue Jun 25 15:01:00 CDT 2002

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> I think I could not explain my question very well.

Your question was explained well enough - I was just being a smartarse.

> To open a new window for a link, we add target="_blank" attribute in <a> tag.
> E.g.
> This HTML will open a new browser window when the user clicks on the link. This
> window cannot surely be maximized. How can we make sure that the new window,
> which opens on clicking, is opened in maximized state?

Short answer: N

Slightly longer answer: You can't.

Long answer: You can't, but you can attempt something similar with
JavaScript.  <http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Console_window> has some good
information on this.

Longest answer: You can't, and you shouldn't.  If you want a real-world
example, Cisco's "student curriculum" site uses JavaScript so that those
reading the notes have initially got a new window (sized to fill the
screen) thrust upon them, and it's very annoying.  Generally you can
trust (most) users to be intelligent enough that, if they want a
maximised window, they'll set one themselves.  I mean, how on earth do
you plan to deal with people who, for example, use WindowMaker or
Blackbox or some similar non-Windows-like WM on Linux and therefore
never have windows maximised?  Nonetheless, if you insist on doing this,
you can find some good information here:
<http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Console_window>

HTH, HAND

--
Mark Gallagher