[thelist] contract work questions

Dan Romanchik dan at danromanchik.com
Wed Jun 26 08:41:01 CDT 2002

It's kind of odd that you'd be doing contract work for your employer, but oh
well.

It's great that you're keeping track of the hours worked. I hope that you
and the company agreed on the hourly rate before hand.

As far as invoicing, why bother with an invoicing program? You only have
this one client, right? Why not just create an official-looking invoice in
your word processor program and send them that? That's what I do and my
clients have responded quite nicely (with checks!) to that.

As far as taxes are concerned, at the end of the year, the company will
issue you a 1099 form. They also send a copy of this form to the IRS, so the
IRS will be looking for you to also report this income. By the end of the
year, you'll have had to pay 80% of your total tax liability, so if your
consulting income is a significant proportion of your employee income,
you'll want to make some estimated tax payments throughout the year. You can
go to the IRS website for more information on how and when to file.
Self-employed people are required to make quarterly estimated tax payments.

Good luck!

Dan
Dan Romanchik - Web Developer
dan at danromanchik.com, 734-930-6564