[thelist] Browser Stats Released

Graham Bird gbird at cambridge.org
Thu Jun 27 03:23:01 CDT 2002

I see it a different way. It's not that people are hanging on to Netscape 4
necessarily. It's that if they have downloaded Netscape 6 and they don't
like it, they can continue to use version 4.

With Internet Explorer, if you get a new version, it overwrites your old
version. You are then stuck using your new version whether you like it or
not.

In my opinion, this is why Netscape 4 is persisting, and why it will NEVER
go away unless we come up with a "nice" way of suggesting people switch.

Perhaps another contributor was that Netscape 6 started life a bit buggy
(if I remember correctly) - maybe people lost confidence after they had
downloaded it and decided to continue to use 4.

Graham Bird