[thelist] Re: dev server/live server file sync

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Fri Jun 28 08:26:01 CDT 2002

> Argh! I seem to be too absent minded to be able to copy over all
> approved changes from my dev server to the live server. I get most of
> the files, but apparently, have been missing one or two here and there
> when a single task requires changing many dispersed files.

I have exactly the same problem (which I hope to solve soon, since I'll
be moving, possibly today, and can thereafter connect my dev "server").
But here's what I'd want (simple to do; just a report allowing manual
fixes):

In two columns:
At the very top, list the TIME as reported on the dev machine, and also
TIME as reported on the live server. Convert them to be the same (i.e.,
subtract some fixed number of hours from all the times reported on
the "time ahead" server, if necessary). Then
In col. 1, list all files within folders of one server (dev? live?)
with its date and exact time
In col. 2, list the same for the other folder, but make sure the
folders line up, and the files within the folders line up. If a file is
missing, print weird character string (to search on). If files are
extra, print them in special area below end of first column.

> Can anyone suggest a reliable system for tracking which files have
> changed on a development server and ensuring the new versions get
moved
> to the live server on approval? I do check the dates of files in
> pertinent folders, but what if I forget to check a folder?
>
> Is there a WebDav tool or something similar to do this?
>
> If I were to create a tool to do this, what would you want in it? How
> would it work?

Cheers
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com