[thelist] XTHML 1.1 modularisation [was Hn tags]

James Newbery jamesnewbery at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 11:05:01 CDT 2002

--- Lachlan Cannon <luminosity at members.evolt.org>
wrote:
> <tip type="XHTML" author="Lachlan">
> If you're using XHTML 1.0 Strict, you may as well
> upgrade to 1.1. The only
> changes are the dropping of the name attribute in a
> in favour of the id
> attribute on any element, and the dropping of lang
> in favour of xml:lang.
> Oh, and the doctype change of course.
> </tip>

What of modularisation? I remember (half-) reading the
XHTML 1.1 spec when it was first released as a
candidate recommendation. There was stuff in there
about modularisation of XHTML into functional, well,
modules (splitting tags into related groups and
allowing them to be 'loaded' on an as needed basis).

The specification didn't say what this would mean for
developers in the real world. Does anyone know what
the practical implications / benefits / difficulties
of modularisation are? Anyone used it?

Jim