[thelist] Javascript pop ups

SP internetracer at yifan.net
Sat Jun 29 12:16:01 CDT 2002

You could just use this

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Kevin Stevens
Sent: June 29, 2002 1:07 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] Javascript pop ups

Grrr.. I've been trying to work this out all afternoon and I am finally
turning to the List for guidance. I'm doing a site for a friend's wedding
and because there are a lot of names that will be unfamiliar to some people
I had the brilliant idea of making the names a link so that when you place
the cursor over them a pop up window appears with a description of who that
person is, and then disappears when you remove the cursor. Before anyone
mentions this, I know I can do a similar thing with the "title" attribute,
which is what I might end up doing. The problem is this, I can't seem to
work out the correct code for the onMouseOut function...

 <script language="javascript">
 function popup()
 window.open('whoswho.htm', 'names', config='height=450, width=300,
toolbar=no, menubar=no, status=no, scrollbars=yes')
 function popdown()

names here</a>

So could someone please tell me where I am going wrong? I know this can be
done because I have seen it on a site which, typically, is down at the
moment so I can't check the code.
Two other things as well...

1. When the pop up appears it says Untitled at the top, but you can clearly
see I have given it a title.
2. I have explained I would like the name as a hyperlink, but how can you
disable the link so if you click on it, nothing happens?

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk