[thelist] IIS5: two sites on one box, with one ip

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Jul 2 18:49:00 CDT 2002

hi.

right now we've got two servers hosting one site each. i need to put one
of the websites (the one that is being redesigned) on to the other box
permanently. the website that is being redesigned is configured so that
once a request for the site comes to the server, the server redirects
that request to the other website. basically both domains are pointing
to the same place as far as the user is concerned. however in actuality
one box redirects to the other.

it was suggested to me by customer service at earthlink that i change
the A record of the site that is down to the same IP address as the site
that is up. effectively making it true that both domains are both
pointing to the same ip address. this sounds correct and fine. the
problem i have though is that i don't know how to setup IIS so that when
the time comes to bring the new site up, the ONE ip address can point to
two seperate websites on the same box.

he said that the server will know which one is being requested based on
the headers of the request. again, that's fine and dandy, except that i
don't know how to configure iis to understand this.

can someone please instruct me or lead me to a document that gives
step-by-step instructions on how to do this? everything i've found
regarding this assumes too much.

thanks a lot.

chris.