[thelist] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Wed Jul 3 14:10:01 CDT 2002

I'm somewhat confused about the future of XML documents aimed at the web. The
XML part is clear: it is used to organize, share, interpret, etc., your content
and data. But how to display it to the browser?

There's CSS... but a page displayed solely in CSS? Not very feasible.

There's XSLT... much more powerful, but it basically just converts your XML back
to HTML... kind of defeats the purpose of doing away with HTML in the first place?

Then there's XSLFO... but from what I've read that's more aimed at the printed
word, and all the examples I've seen are diplayed as PDF files.

So what are we supposed to use to display XML files to the web without first
changing them into the HTML/CSS paradigm? Or is that how we're "supposed" to do it?

Insight would be helpful.

-joeljkp