[thelist] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

Michael Mell mike at nthwave.net
Thu Jul 4 09:10:01 CDT 2002

Chris Kaminski wrote:

> Thus spake Means, Eric D:
>
> > Obviously XML is a superset of XHTML, and therefore there are an infinite
> > number of XML docs that would not be valid XHTML (and may not display as
> > readily in a browser); however it is clearly quite possible to write a pure
> > XML file which, when combined with a proper CSS file, will display as
> > expected in a browser.
>
> Not to be pedantic, but IIRC XHTML is an XML /application/, not subset.
> Calling it a subset is rather like calling MacOS 9 a 'C' subset.

from http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#xhtml

XHTML is a family of current and future document types and modules that
reproduce, **subset**, and extend HTML 4 [HTML].
<<<
emphasis added.

However, Chris also remembers correctly:
from http://www.w3c.org/MarkUp/#xhtml1 (3rd paragraph down)

XHTML 1.0 is the first step and the HTML Working Group is busy on the next.
XHTML 1.0 reformulates HTML as an XML **application**.
<<<
emphasis added.

> As far as rendering arbitrary XML in a browser, it can be done in Moz now.

I see the Moz will style xml using a style sheet.
But then I tried using absolute positioning to place the contents without
success. If we could position xml elements, /that/ would be something to work
with.

--
mike[at]nthwave.net
llemekim         YahooIM