[thelist] ASP and form question

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Jul 8 01:58:01 CDT 2002

> Could it be the reference to Request.Form in
> line 25 strDefBody = "Sent by: " & Request.Form("require") &
> vbCrlf & vbCrlf_    & Request.Form("order")? I'm not sure
> what "Request.Form" refers to in relation to my form, so I
> may have that wrong. And I think I have "require" and "order"
> correct but not sure.

I'll answer this briefly, and if it doesn't help, shout:

Request.Form("fullname") in the action page would refer to this field in
your form:

Please enter your full name <input type="text" name="fullname" id="fullname"
size="24">

and

Request.Form("email") would refer to this one

Your e-mail address <input type="text" name="email" id="email" size="24">

You can refer to each form element in the action page by referring to it as
Request.Form("name_of_field") (except, of course, you put the real name
you're using, as in the examples above.)

What that means is that where you're referring to Request.Form("require") it
is picking up the value of <input type="hidden" name="require"
value="fullname"> which is hidden, so it better be getting this value from
somewhere else. Why is the field hidden?

Also, where you refer to Request.Form("order") it's the value of this long
bit:

<.input type="hidden" name="order"
value="fullname,address,city,state,zip,home phone,work phone,fax,email,Best
Sellers,Special Gifts,Seasonal Selections,Corporate Gifts,Party Favors,Other
Items,Comments">

which I don't understand at all. The period at the beginning <.input
confuses me, and I don't see how it's getting all the information for the
value.

Ah; the fact that these fields are hidden reminds me of the pseudo-mailto
script I used to use from Matt's Script Archive; it somehow parsed all the
form info and split it into meaningful pairs in an array. If that's what the
lemur's doing, it's way over my head for CDONTS. I just assign each form
element to a string variable, and refer to those strings in the setup which
you were originally using.

joel