[thelist] Re: allowed nesting elements (was "P rather than DIV")

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Mon Jul 8 04:23:01 CDT 2002

> Following up on the form enclosing tags discussion, here
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/strict.html
> is a great document which enumerates the allowed contents of all tags.

Thanks, Mike, for a great reference page!

Note: When I suggested containing form elements within P tags (rather
than div), I didn't mean each  field would be a separate paragraph! In
forms, it's often suitable to place a subheading (such as "info about
you") in front of a column of fields such as name, address, etc. --
that's all one paragraph (P), with elements I usually separate with <br
/> (break, for those of you with HTML e-mail readers).

I use a few paragraphs, usually, to contain many input fields. It's been
legal as long as I've been doing it (I checked way back in '98 or so,
when I first began incorporating forms within HTML pages -- initially
forms had to be separate pages). (-8

Cheers --
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com