[thelist] Really dumb question...

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at directvinternet.com
Mon Jul 8 13:47:01 CDT 2002

> Thanks Craig and Lon...
>
> I know it has validation errors.  I'm not at validating it yet.  (Not
that
> validation isn't a priority, but I want the page looking OK before I
go in
> and tweak it so it passes the validator... I could live if it doesn't
> validate.  Its only a personal site with a very small audience.)

"Chicken before the egg..." CSS will typically be wonky with non-valid
html. AFAIK, the CSS validitor will baulk if the HTML is invalid. I
implore you to validate continuously if you are having problems.

> I know the scrollbars aren't valid css, and I don't care... I just
like the
> way they unify my site.

OK! Just use a doctype that'll put IE6 in "quirks mode"
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
should do ya (at least in IE5+).

> This was my first time slicing graphics and I was unsure how they
would work
> in a div.  I know I have empty graphics because without them, the
slices
> were all haphazard...

The purpose of "slicing" is to fit things _into_ tables! Unslice (is
that a word?) them and place the single image into a header div! (Not
really an optimal solution though)

> Obviously, I still have a lot to learn.

As do most of us ;)

--