[thelist] Scrollbar Styling (was: Really dumb question...)

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Mon Jul 8 16:40:03 CDT 2002

Craig,

> > a work in progress.  My main question is: why aren't my
> > colored scrollbars showing in
> > IE6(win) ?
>
> IN IE6's strict mode they will not work. If you really want them, you'll
> need to use a DOCTYPE that puts it into quirks mode (not recommended).
> Or you could try applying the rule to the HTML element to (not tested):
>  HTML, BODY { scrollbar-rules }
> You do realize that the scrollbar styles are not valid CSS, right
> (meaning it will only work in IE 5 & 6 on Windows)?

    For clarification, scrollbars can be colored in IE 6 while in
standards-compliance mode, but the styling will show up on the document
window only if they are applied to the html element. Both IE 6 in quirks
mode and IE 5.5 (which does not have the quirks vs. standards-compliance
dichotomy) will allow scrollbar coloring on either the html element _or_ the
body element. So, the safest route, validation aside, would be to always
apply any scrollbar styling to the html element instead of the body element.

James Aylard