[thelist] Please give me UI modification suggestions!

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 11:32:01 CDT 2002

--- David Bindel <dbindel at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > I have been asked to make some changes to some controls we are
> > working on. Start by viewing a small shot of them here:
> >
> > http://www.doctormusic.net/tom/need_feedback.gif
>
> > As you can see its an "equalizer" type control, if you were to
> click
> > in the center, the highlight would move there - kind of a bar
> graph
> > thing. (Whether you like the idea or not, we're past the point of
> no
> > return on that one).
> >
> > These controls (stick with the "pitch" one for example) control a
> 3D
> > view of a VML/SVG object that is above it.
> >
> > So clicking halfway down the pitch control will set the pitch to
> 45
> > degrees (halfway between 0 - 90)
> >
> > They want some kind of visual feedback on the controls (rightly
> so)
> > so that the user has some frame of reference before they click
> > (instead of just trial and error.)
>
> I think you should consider something like what The5K.org used for
> their
> voting system.  Here's a link to an example below, but you will
> have to
> register with them really quickly before you can actually see how
> the voting
> control works: http://www.the5k.org/description.asp/entry_id=1172
>
> When you move your mouse to a higher rating on the voting control
> bar, the
> different levels are highlighted.  When you finally make the
> decision of
> what rating you want to give the 5K entry, you click on one, it
> locks in,
> and changes the graphic to a different one saying the average
> rating and
> thanks the user for voting (after you click you can't change your
> vote, the
> image becomes statix).  Of course this would be a little bit harder
> for you,
> because unlike The5K, your users will most likely want to change
> the
> controls more than once.  So you would have to design a way where
> once they
> click on a certain level, the onmouseout attribute for that object
> is
> temporarily stopped for 5 seconds so they have a chance to move
> their mouse
> away without it resetting the level they selected.
>
> Good luck,
> David Bindel

Thats not a bad idea, but it doesn't give me the values (i.e., 1-5).
I actually originally had the control working that way, as in the eq
followed the mouse as it were until you clicked. But it was decided
they liked it better the way it is now.

I'm more looking for a way to show them the context of the values
that are POSSIBLE to select, than what they are actually selecting.
Landmarks of values, as it were..

TOm

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();