[thelist] Re: news.com article on browsers and mainstream sites etc..

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Tue Jul 9 11:48:01 CDT 2002

> Anyway, my only two cents on the matter is that you'll never be able
> to have us all "code the way we want to" and be-boggle the browsers.
> Because ultimately, you are answering to bosses and clients who want
> their products to work so they can make money, and as the article
> stated - they often are mainly concerned with it working in IE.

I totally agree with this.

I worked for a web software company for a year and tried for that whole year
to bring in standards compliance of the most basic level - not to mention
trying for code that was at least marginally vaild. Not only was the
software usable only on IE, but it produced pages that were only viewable by
IE (and not accessible either). The company's intended market was huge
companies and governments - these are not exactly the type of organizations
that were going to buy a product that will make their public web site only
viewable in IE. When a client did demand that the pages produced worked on
all browsers they almost lost the client, scrambling to fix up the code, and
they certainly lost $$$. But they still didn't learn. They still chose to
make new products that only worked for IE. After a year of trying to
convince them, I quit and started my own business.

I think someone should make a kit for designers and developers to give to
their bosses. A kit that has all the arguments, studies, as much info as
possible,  for valid code, from a financial as well as "it's good for the
future of the web" perspective aimed at company owners, managers, clients
etc. Hmm...

Tara
--
Tara Cleveland