[thelist] re: Please give me UI modification suggestions!

Brian Johnson brian at bnia.com
Tue Jul 9 13:09:01 CDT 2002

Gary Bland wrote:

> Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
>
>> Here's a shot with some values above the bars (with some of the other
>> stuff taken off for clarity) using Silkscreen 8pt.
>>
>> http://www.doctormusic.net/tom/feedback2.gif
>>
>> The values are awfully small which bothers me. But certainly I could
>> do nothing bigger, if I am going to put values on them at all (if
>> that is even a good solution)...

I agree that the font is small.  Perhaps some thing bolder?

I don't know how sophisticated your users are, but perhaps your scale
could be tagged in terms of pi. Say 45 = pi/2 180 = 2pi.  Or maybe in
multiples of pi so you just have 1/2, 1, 2, 4 as scale markers.  And I'd
use pi glyph, of course.

Or perhaps, in terms of cos(angle) using square root glyphs.  So that
0deg = sqrt(4)/2 (=1.0000)
30deg = sqrt(3)/2 (=0.8660)
45deg = sqrt(2)/2 (=0.7071)
60deg = sqrt(1)/2 (=0.5000)
90deg = sqrt(0)/2 (=0.0000)
etc.

Using sin might be more natural since the sqrt(x) would increase with
the angle.

Probably too silly, but I'd dig it.  I'm also a nerdy engineer!

I'm probably not helping terribly much, but that's what popped in my head.

-Brian