[thelist] Security on the web - am I paranoid?

Tamara Nelson tamara at sanctusmoo.com
Wed Jul 10 07:50:00 CDT 2002

Almost two years ago, there was a case of identity theft on the net.  This
woman was obsessed with her friend's daughter and created an alter ego with
pictures she had "borrowed" to create a scrapbook of the girl's basketball
prowess..."Kaycee Nicole" had a blog (featuring these photos) detailing her
fight with cancer and was an internet superstar.  Then, when the pressure
got to be too much, "Kaycee" died and her sudden demise led to a lot of
questions and the uncovering of the identity theft.

Am I afraid to post pictures of myself / friends / family on the internet?
Not really... if someone wants to steal my identity bad enough, they can go
to a library in my hometown and scan my photo of out the high school
yearbook.  They can pull it from any of the various newspaper articles I was
in.  They can pull it from two news clips that were broadcast.  The
information is out there...it just depends on how determined the thiefs are.