[thelist] Re: Security on the web - NEVER post pictures of children (with names)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Wed Jul 10 12:06:02 CDT 2002

Today, the cows mooved Tara Cleveland to write:

> I'd guess that kids are in a lot more danger of molestation and abuse from
> people they already know, not random child-snatchers on the net.

I don't have the statistics at hand, but the vast majority of sexual crimes are
committed by someone known to the victim.  This sort of random seek'n'find is
really *quite* rare.

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ members.evolt.org/jswiders

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one:
'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
  -- Voltaire