[thelist] 8k Row limits must Go!

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Wed Jul 10 16:14:01 CDT 2002

Rob,

> The alternatives I've considered and you've mentioned is to hack up the
data
> and store it into two different rows or tables... I'm not sure how to do
> this

I suspect that you can get around the text datatype bugs. There are several
workarounds available. Try this stuff:
1. Upgrade your MDAC, for starters.
2. Put your text fields as the last ones in both the query and the physical
table.
3. Query separately for your text fields and put the results in variables
before using them.

However, assuming you _need_ to hack up the data, you can do something like
this (many fields omitted, salt and pepper to taste):

 tblCMSPages
 -----------
 cmsPageID

 tblCMSPages_text
 ----------------
 cmsPageID
 cmsTextID

 tblCMSPages_textContent
 ----------------
 cmsTextID
 cmsTextIDOrder
 textualContent

The last table will store something like this:

 cmsTextID cmsTextIDOrder textualContent
 --------- -------------- --------------
     1           1         first8k
     1           2         second8k
     ..
     1           n         last8k

So each "big" text entry box on each page gets a TextID. When you need to
get the text for that box, you select all the rows from
tblCMSPages_textContent for that TextID and order by cmsTextIDORder.
Concatenate the textualContent strings that come back and you'll get your
content back.

When you insert, just do a WHILE loop that chops off 8k from the user's text
and inserts it into the table with the order counter. Keep going until you
run out of text.

This is kind of complex, and not congruent to my original 1:1 suggestion,
but that's because I thought you just had lots of fields -- not that you had
one big one. (-; (FWIW, the design is off the top of my head and designed
merely to get you thinking about generalities.)

HTH,

--
Jonathan McPherson, LMIT/SD&I
Software Engineer & Web Systems Analyst