[thelist] [OT] Linux Virus Scanning

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Thu Jul 11 07:40:10 CDT 2002

> I've just updated my kernel. The way I have my system setup, it boots
Linux
> from a floppy disk (I choose not to install GRUB or LILO, since it didn't
> seem to detect my NTFS volume). Is there a way I can configure the floppy
> load the newer kernel?

Grub and Lilo don't care too much about file systems -- they just care about
whether or not a partition is bootable. If you tell them to boot a
particular partition, they will -- you just need to know the device name
(usually /dev/hdaX -- 1 < X < 9) of the hard drive partition where you are
running Windows. Try running "fdisk /dev/hda" and using "p" to get a list of
your partitions and their file system types. Pick your NTFS partition and
tell Grub or Lilo to boot there.

You should be loading the newer kernel automatically -- as I understand it
(not being a floppy booter myself), the floppy just boots whatever kernel's
on the hard drive. If you have a boot partition, mount it and put your new
kernel in there (the kernel binary is generally named bzImage). If you
don't, the kernel's probably under your /boot directory -- update it there.
I recommend making a rescue disk (tomsrtbt[1] is wonderful) and a backup
copy of the kernel (bzImage.good or something) in case your new kernel
doesn't boot.

[1]
<tip type="Linux" author="jeduthun">
Linux system won't boot with enough capability for you to fix it? Forgot
your root password or locked yourself out of your own machine? Need to do
something on a machine with no OS?

You need Tom's Root Boot:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

It's a little bootable Linux distribution on a single floppy that comes with
an astounding number of Unix and Linux utilities. I keep a tomsrtbt floppy
on hand for emergencies and it's been a lifesaver more than once. It's free.
</tip>

--
Jonathan McPherson, LMIT/SD&I
Software Engineer & Web Systems Analyst