[thelist] DOCTYPE bug

Lenore Snell lenore at sonic.net
Fri Jul 12 18:12:00 CDT 2002

I have come across the doctype bug already. I was quite pleased to find an
article about it on the evolt site. It fixed the problem with the doctype in
Netscape - pretty much exactly as the evolt article on this subject.

I also noticed that IE6 seems to not necessarily be using the default of
align left. For example, this:

and this:

.both on IE6 for the PC seem to be putting the *both* the table and the word
foo to be center align. I guess because the w3c spec isn't clear on default
alignment for the td. The rather annoying workaround that I did was this:

I had isolated this and tested it separate from my design to discover this.
I'm not entirely sure why IE6 does this. Now I tend to put the forced <div
align="left"> to guaranteed what were assumed defaults previously - well,
because I care about designing for all browsers, not just IE and because I
have to follow section 508 for my government job.

Lenore