[thelist] OT: Can Linux users see Windows XP's C$ share?

Craig cd-ml at aardvark.net.au
Sat Jul 13 09:18:01 CDT 2002

Sorry for the OT.

I was reading an e-book about Windows XP and it's shares and read the
following quote:

<.quote.>

If you append a dollar sign to the share name (for example, Elopement$), the
folder is not visible to users who browse the network with My Network Places
or Windows Explorer. Users whom you've entrusted with the name of your
shared folder can still connect to it by typing its name-including the
dollar sign-into any place network paths are accepted, such as the Address
bar, the Add Network Place Wizard, the Map Network Drive dialog box, and so
on.

Note, however, that hiding share names that end with a dollar sign is a
function of the client computer, not the server. (In this context, server
means the computer that has the shared folder.) All versions of Windows hide
such shares, but if your network includes Apple Macintosh or Linux
computers, users on those computers can view the "hidden" shares. Therefore,
you can't rely on this method to completely secure your sensitive shared
data; you must also set permissions appropriately.

<./quote.>

Can Linux or Apple users on the same network see my ADMIN$ and C$ etc..
shares?  I can't modify the users of these shares either.  Can I safely
delete these shares or does windows rely on them somehow?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
Craig.