[thelist] browser quirks and css. (was W3C CSS Validator. Am I missing something?)

Daniel Medley dm at lgcy.com
Sat Jul 13 09:57:01 CDT 2002

While making this site I found that:
#main {
 position:relative;
}

#nav {
 z-index:1;
 position:absolute;
}

#top {
 position:relative;
}

#bottom {
 position:relative;
}
would not display right or left aligned images in the #main block in IE5.5
but kept the layout as intended. However in Mozilla 1.0 the images would be
displayed but the layout out was all whacked (#top and #bottom were touching
or overlapping the #main etc). Only after I changed the #main position to
inherit would the images display in IE and the layout be as intended in both
IE and Mozilla. Apparently "inherit" for the position of #main is the
correct way, I just don't know why. Can someone explain this to me?
Apparently IE is forgiving and Mozilla is not. I think I prefer less
forgiving.

TIA
Daniel