[thelist] OT: Reasons for a real domain not...

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Mon Jul 15 07:51:07 CDT 2002

At 08:14 15/07/2002 -0400, Bob Boisvert wrote:
>Does anyone have any other comments about why a non profit group should opt
>for a real domain and web site? Any comments are welcome.

A domain name is shorter and more memorable, making it a much better option
if they plan to distribute the address on their dead-tree publicity
material. Also, free hosting always carries a stigma in that it makes it
look like the web site is not important enough to justify spending a few
bucks on a proper address for it. This is probably only a concern to
web-savvy visitors though - I doubt most web users are overly bothered.