[thelist] Creating Account Security

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Thu Jul 18 15:39:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Lewis" <slewis at macrovista.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Creating Account Security

| Gary S wrote:
|
| > But, a person at work mentioned that web (robots?) may make thousands of
| > accounts automatically.  I understand some sites require the user to
enter a
| > key that is displayed in an image.  Since we don't have Generator we
can't
| > do this dynamically. I am wondering if anyone has any clever ideas.
|
| Use a dynamic Flash image instead!

I wrote this a couple days ago to play around.

http://www.everybox.com/ImageToken.php

It's written in PHP and uses the GD toolkit (most PHP's have it, in debian
just apt-get it)

If people want, I'll clean it up and release the source and explain how to
use it securely. (so not to give away the text in the image)

Actually...maybe I'll write an article explaining why it's good to have it
and how to do it and how to use it.  If I did this could somebody proof read
it for me?  I'm not too strong of a writer.

-davidu