[thelist] Flash Free Charts! [was] Free Flash charts?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Mon Jul 22 06:41:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
Does anyone know of a free Flash movie that I can plug values into the HTML
params that will allow for the generation of a chart in Flash? (I'm
thinking pie charts, bar charts, that sort of thing.) This would be a very
cool little addition to the little 'Where are you from?' script I'm going
to whip up.
[/snip]

Frank, I am going mangle your title "Free Flash charts?" to "Flash Free
Charts!" If you are using PHP as your scripting environment you can install
the GD library and generate chart graphics on the fly. There are many
wrappers out there that make the process as simple as pulling the data and
generating the chart. The output is a GIF or a JPEG or PNG for which all
accessiblility attributes can be included.

There are also extensions for ASP to create chart graphics on the fly, but
you might ..*gasp*.. have to pay for them. I have found a couple of
freebies, but they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

HTH!

Jay

"Reality is for people who lack imagination"

* Want to meet other PHP developers *
* in your area? Check out:          *
* http://php.meetup.com/            *
* No developer is an island ...     *