[thelist] OT - do programmers/designers know *everything*?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Tue Jul 23 12:55:05 CDT 2002

[snip]
1. Are most of the folks on this list (for example) actually making a decent
living ...
[/snip]

Yes. Sometimes it involves the wearing of many, many hats. Orgainzation,
time management, and knowing where to look for answers are the most valuable
tools.

[and snip]
2. For the folks that ARE doing well enough to not have to work a 'real' job
[/and snip]

That's just silly. I would say that I know a couple of things really well,
with the ability to hand code almost anything that could be asked in those
areas. The rest is knowing where and what to look for. I have been a
code-jockey for a very long time (I am in my mid-forties) and have found
that the most needed tool in my arsenal is the ability to be flexible and to
continue learning. I learn something new almost everyday, keep an extensive
library of solutions (which I have migrated to a PHP/MySQL web-app for fast
lookup :^] ). I doubt seriously I could code any FORTRAN by hand now, though
I could many years ago. No one knows *everything*, that is why Evolt is such
a valuable resource! If we all knew it all, the we all wouldn't come here
... 'cept for the beer.

Oh, and it is a real job, warts and all.

Jay