[thelist] OT - do programmers/designers know *everything*?

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Tue Jul 23 14:54:00 CDT 2002

I'll be 21 in august! :D
(and heavily inebriated)

I'd also like to add that you (Roger) shouldn't get down on yourself for
having to look things up.  I don't know a single programmer/developer who
doesn't have at least 10-15 language-specific books on hand at all times.  I
work full-time (landed a nice deal during the dot-com rage) but I also
freelance on the side whenever possible, so I'm paying the bills both ways.

I agree with Ken too, in that I think it's best to do some intense work in a
particular area if you really want to get good at it.  Roll through the
innumerable Java tutorials on the web if you want to learn Java; go through
all the examples in the JavaScript faq's at irt.org; study code examples
from aspin.com and read all the articles on 4guysfromrolla.com.  The web is
your friend, I use it (google, I should say) more than my books.  Everything
you need to know is out there, you just have to be willing to sit down and
do the examples and make an honest effort to learn the concepts, not just
the langauge syntax.

Your head will handle the rest!  Good luck!

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net