[thelist] alt tags

James Newbery jamesnewbery at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 06:25:01 CDT 2002

 --- Tim Parkin <tim at pollenation.net> wrote:
> Can you explain what you mean by 'less informed web
> authors', because it
> sounds like you're saying people who use tables for
> layout are 'less
> informed' which is exactly the sort of cliquey,
> backslapping and
> holier-than-thou attitude of the tableless layout
> community that really
> rankles and is going to put a lot of 'well informed'
> web authors off
> listening.
>
> Please explain why using tables means 'less
> informed'. Or rather don't
> bother as enough bandwidth has been wasted on the
> subject already.

We were actually talking about alt attributes on
images, to explain the content of images to those who,
for whatever reason, would not be able to see the
image itself. Nothing to do with tableless design.

What I meant by 'less informed' was simply developers,
web editors - whoever creates content for the web in
fact, that don't employ alt attributes because they
don't know about them.