[thelist] All CSS Layout and Browser Compatability

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Thu Jul 25 03:45:00 CDT 2002

> Is it possible to do an entire site using only DIV tags and CSS layout?
> I love the kind of simplicity implied by the designs at BlueRobot
> <http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/> but am worried about stranding
> x% of viewers with "other" browsers...

One of the more important things about planning and designing a site using
CSS for layout is to accept that some visitors' browsers will not be able to
cope with the full complexity of the layout. The key point to remember,
above all other things, is that a website should be built in order to allow
visitors to access content - that the graphic design, while important, is
only of secondary importance to the accessibility of the content.

Moving to a layout controlled with CSS isn't about blocking (or "stranding")
visitors with one particular "inferior" browser, it's about building the
site so that visitors with this browser -- who are vastly in the minority --
can still access your content.

Articles at my own site -- which uses a pure CSS layout for 98% of my
visitors, who don't use Netscape 4 -- may be useful reading material.

<http://www.mark.ac/help/articles.php>

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>