[thelist] Re: JS help: including a file as footer

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Thu Jul 25 04:17:01 CDT 2002

--
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:47:49 +0100
"Mark" <mcoady at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> if you can't use ssi, and you haven't got server extensions like php
> or ihtml or something then the only way is client side. i guess that's
> why you're looking at js.

The trouble with using JS for includes that that anybody who can't (e.g.
people using a lynx based braille browser or screen
reader) or won't (e.g. people who are sick of IE JS based security
holes) and well and user agents who are not directly controlled by
people (e.g. search engine indexing robots) will be unable to see the
included content.

When I used a server that didn't support PHP/ASP/CGI/SSI/etc I wrote
this preprocessing script to solve the problem for me

http://david.us-lot.org/software-dolt.php

I'm in the process of rewriting it to work recursively and with SSI
syntax, but I haven't got a great deal of time to devote to it in the
immediate future (give it a few weeks perhaps).

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.