[thelist] Re: JS help: including a file as footer

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Thu Jul 25 08:26:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dorward" <evolt at david.us-lot.org>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 05:17
Subject: Re: [thelist] Re: JS help: including a file as footer

> The trouble with using JS for includes that that anybody who can't (e.g.
> people using a lynx based braille browser or screen
> reader) or won't (e.g. people who are sick of IE JS based security
> holes) and well and user agents who are not directly controlled by
> people (e.g. search engine indexing robots) will be unable to see the
> included content.

A very true issue, but JavaScript is also very convenient to use as well since
it requires no preprocessing and you can specalize per directory or file.
Before I used SSI (back in the Dark Ages ;-), I used JavaScript for the main
navigation and simply placed a static link to a site map document on every
page.  It seemed to work quite well for everyone who knew how to use the back
button on their user agent effectively.

Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu