[thelist] Fusebox framework and PHP

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Thu Jul 25 16:09:09 CDT 2002

At 03:51 PM 7/25/2002, Boris Mann wrote:
>So off I went, and started digging into the Fusebox framework. Well...I
>think the end goal is a good idea, to have a common framework, instead
>of people having to read a bunch of docs (or code!) to figure out how
>you wrote yours.

Not coming from a PHP background, but I have to agree with this even for
writing ColdFusion.  I'm not a fan of Fusebox.  I'm a fan of the concept
(more or less).  My biggest concern is that Fusebox is designed more for
"applications" than "web sites" (at least, this is what I feel) which I
feel raises some problems design-wise.

>BUT, the learning curve is very steep, I find. You definitely have to
>buy in to the Fusebox concept, and I found it hard to get used to.

I don't know about learning curve, but it is definitely an adjustment if
you aren't geared towards thinking that way.

>As a drawback, one big weakness is that the URLs aren't very search
>engine friendly, so it's something to watch out for if that's important
>for your web app.

Since you are using PHP (and, presumably, Apache), you need to check out
this article:

<http://www.evolt.org/article/Search_Engine_Friendly_URLs_with_PHP_and_Apache/17/15049/index.html>

for the search engine bit.  Ironically, I am writing code this very second
(well, I was before I answered this e-mail) for search engine friendly URLs
in IIS, which is a much bigger, more problematic pain in the rear.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

Blocking out disturbing thoughts with soothing thoughts of the Internet.