[thelist] Mac Host file & domain recognition

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Jul 26 14:26:02 CDT 2002

At 12:07 PM 7/26/2002, Vince Heilman wrote:

>I'm currently running an all WIN development domain with one MAC on it.
>In order for my MAC (OSX) to see anything on the domain, I have to enter the
>IP address of the server in the URL. Is there anything I could do to allow
>the MAC to resolve the name of the domain to the ip address?

1. Create a "text" file called machosts.host
2. Enter the IP information file
3. Save file: machosts.host
4. Go to: Control Panels > TCP/IP >
Click on the 'Select Hosts File' button and choose machosts.host. You will
be prompted with "Are you sure you want to replace the Hosts file with the
contents of "machosts.host"? Click on Continue.
5. Save configuration.
6. You should now be able to view the new site on the Mac.

The format of machosts.file is like this:

#this is a comment
domain.name.com                      A     111.111.111.111

---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys