[thelist] Redirecting with <noscript>

Nik Schramm n at industriality.com
Fri Jul 26 20:03:01 CDT 2002

Hi all.

In a site i'm building I need to redirect users that have deactivated
JavaScript to another page. I can do this:

<head>
<noscript>
</noscript>
</head>
[...]

and it seems to work ok, but of course it doesn't validate as xhtml
strict, because <meta> is not allowed to be a child of anything but
<head> and <noscript> is not really kosher there either.

Unless I'm missing something, I can only detect if a browser /supports/
JavaScript, but not if it is actually activated, when trying to redirect
using a server-side language (in my case .NET/C#). That's how I ended up
with the client-side <noscript> hack in the first place.

What to do ? Is there any valid way to silently redirect non-js users ?

Thanks

/nik