[thelist] Redirecting with <noscript>

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sun Jul 28 00:02:00 CDT 2002

Nik Schramm wrote:
> On 27.Jul.02 14:48 Jim Dabell spoke thusly
>
>> Just redirect the people with javascript activated instead, and swap the
>> pages around.
>
> Yeah, I see what you're saying, but in this case I have an entire site
> that needs JS to function, so I wanted to filter out non-js users at
> every possible entry point and redirect them to
> hello-we-love-you-but-you-need-JS-to-surf-here.html .

Can still be done.  Use
i-think-your-legitimate-choices-dont-matter.html[0] as your default
starting page, and have it redirect to here-comes-the-real-site.html
which acts as your index page now does.

Might be a good idea to consider your affect on search engines, though.
  As someone else pointed out, using a META redirect will cause the
majority of SEs to give you the finger.  However, if you use *this*
method, they'll be happy to index your first page (and only your first
page).  Good, right?  Maybe not.

Do you really want a search engine to grade your site solely on the
contents of your "go away, dinosaurs!" page? :o)

[0] <troll>a more accurate name</troll> :-)