[thelist] XSLT and IE5

Lodewijk van Deyssel gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:26:00 CDT 2002

>I've got a homepage on a corporate intranet site that has a scrolling
>news box in it.  This box gets updated on an "as and when" basis - which
>can be 2 or 3 times a day.
>
>What I'd like to do would be to have the news in an iframe that reads
>from an xml file.  However, we're running IE5 which doesn't seem to like
>XSLT's, which might scupper my plans.

IE5 supports XSL (but I don't know the difference between XSL and XSLT). See
http://www.netlinq.nl/interest/ for a (very old) test of XSL in IE5.

>Is there any way that I can achieve this?  I can't alter IE in any way
>(installing extras etc) as the user base is too large (over 1000 users).

Use the DOM to read out the XML file (this assumes it's all IE on Windows;
Mac doesn't support XML importing). See
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?importxml.html for some basic code.
You'll have to tweak it to get your own HTML output, of course. Advantage:
you don't need the iframe any more.

ppk