[thelist] XSLT and IE5

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jul 29 15:58:01 CDT 2002

fstorr wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've got a homepage on a corporate intranet site that has a scrolling
> news box in it.  This box gets updated on an "as and when" basis - which
> can be 2 or 3 times a day.
>
> What I'd like to do would be to have the news in an iframe that reads
> from an xml file.  However, we're running IE5 which doesn't seem to like
> XSLT's, which might scupper my plans.

I recently ran across the same problem. As PPK has
said, IE5 does support XSLT; but not much of it.

More here;
http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_browsers.asp

It will work ( to a point ) when you use this
document root:
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">

but not when you use this one, which AFAIK is the
official one:
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

 From my experiments, IE5 will perform the simpler
transformation using the first document root above,
but not  some (many?) of the more advanced XSLT
transformations. You'll need to either do them on
the server, or upgrade to IE6.

hth,

Duncan O'Neill
"Smith The Reporter"