[thelist] Sound Capture

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Tue Jul 30 16:15:01 CDT 2002

Hi Brad,

What I'd really like to do is allow the user to record his or her own voice
for a few seconds,
then play it back to compare with a reference pronunciation.
<<<

This may not help you much since the site I saw it on is no longer around,
but there was a site that let you put your own voice on a Flash "web card"
and send it to your friends.

You may not be using Flash for your entire WBT, but you might be able to
fit a small piece of a Flash into a page and at least launch the recorder.
If I remember correctly, they had a link that would pop up a window that
mimicked the Windows Recorder application ... (looks like the front of a
basic $22.50 Tape deck?) You just clicked the red record button, spoke into
the Mic, and then when you clicked "Done" it played it back to you (with
controls). If you were satisfied with the result, you could upload it to
their server, but in this case, you won't need to do that.

I am not familiar with Flash at all, but I remember thinking that their
implementation of that particular feature could be useful in other areas,
so it stuck with me.

I know it's not Java, but perhaps it will help some...

Susan