[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)]

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Wed Jul 31 10:53:09 CDT 2002

>> True, but then having a tag to define the visual appearance is still
>> staying away from the separation of style and structure.
>
> um, maybe i'm missing something, but if there are certain portions of
> structure that have to be styled somehow, how else are you gonna apply the
> style except through some kind of tag?  in other words, you *cannot*
> separate style and structure without tags!!

I didn't say that you could. I pointed out that a tag that means "display
this in bold text" has absolutely no relevance to an audio browser, and that
a semantically neutral tag would be more appropriate.

>> In practice, using <b> would be the same as using a tag like <red> --
>> using a tag to define the visual appearance breaks away from the
>> concept of tag for markup and style sheets for style.
>
> in other words, you cannot style without markup
> that's *my* point, and you cannot make it   ;o)
> i agree, B and RED and the repulsive SPAN are all the same in this context

default styling characteristics without an applied style sheet -- in having
this characteristic, it is ideal for applying styling cues exclusively in
visual browsers.

The use of <span> instead of a semantically correct header tag, to indicate
a structural heading, is where many developers fail in achieving accessible
and structurally correct pages.

>> Sorry, but the concept of forward scanning for sequential audio
>> has me stumped -- how would that work, exactly?
>
> which is why STRONG would be wrong

In this example, that's true.

Regards
Mark Howells