[thelist] Is changing window.status='evil?';

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Wed Jul 31 11:50:01 CDT 2002

> On one of my websites I've used javascript to change the
> window.status to give a description of the page the link will lead
> to. I've also used title="whatever" to describe the link.
> I am getting an unsettling feeling that using window.status in this
> manner is somehow inherently *EVIL*.
> thelist-ers, should I remove this code?

May the Lord Almighty smite you with all His might for the sacrilege of your
transgression.

Seriously, few people (except web developers) will even notice the change --
the only comment I'd make is that you should NEVER use the scrolling text
scripts, as they make browsing a lot slower in Mac browsers and on machines
with a small amount of RAM.

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>