[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)]

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 12:35:00 CDT 2002

--- Adam Fahy <afahy at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I would argue that this is the exact *wrong* reason to use <span>.
> IMO
> gives
> their own meaning (via .class), because nothing else is
> appropriate.
> Lets take a look at your example above.  Hopefully you are not
> randomly
> marking up and titling arbitrary passages in your document; there
> is a
> /reason/ you've selected that specific passage, it has a /meaning/
> that
> is separate from its context.  Is it a keyword?  Is it a term?  Is
> it a
> slogan or an aside?
>
> If you really are randomly decorating passages of text, perhaps
> it's a
> different story.  But at the same time, perhaps you should ask
> yourself
> why you'd want your website to look like a ransom note?
>

> -Adam

Let me chime in since I just used span in a new layout I'm working
on. It has to do with a design element. I have a section title that
is followed by a little text decoration (:.).

The title is one color, I want the text decoration to be orange.
Again, its a presentation/design thing, not semantic in any way. How
could I accomplish this? Make a image? I suppose, but lame, it would
have to be aligned and all that. WHy bother.

I did this:

This has no semantic or structural meaning, so some people will frown
on this I'll bet. But, I felt it was a justified use of it, and
accomplished my goal.

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();