[thelist] Win 2k or XP and why?

John Corry webshot at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 31 18:01:00 CDT 2002

> But the garden-variety win2k includes IIS, no? If so,
> do you know how capable that server is?  I'd be
> interested in running it as a server only for local development.

I used to do this...use IIS as a development server for my php pages.

All of my sites are hosted on Apache.

I switched to Apache (which runs happily on my WinXP workstation) about
6 months ago and just love it. It's faster, more stable and (for me)
easier to configure/modify.

Another pleasant side effect is that in the process of 'administering'
my dev server configuration, I'm learning more about apache
configuration directives, and that knowledge is almost 100%
transferrable to the sites that I work on.

If photoshop and flash were available on Linux, I'd have switched
already.

John Corry
Neon Cowboy Design
http://www.neoncowboy.com