[thelist] SITE CHECK: (time for a beating) site check please (URL HERE!)

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Wed Jul 31 19:43:01 CDT 2002

Message from Chris W. Parker (7/31/2002 01:00 PM)
>whoops! forgot the URI.
>
>http://www.swatgear.com/storefronttest2/indexTest.asp
>
>it will be http://www.nonlethal.com/ when it's done.

Chris,

These are just a few random thoughts. Incidentally, I only looked with
Opera 6 (Win2k)

1. The aadvark looks good, but rather... pointless. Like a fridge magnet
stuck there just because.
2. Need some space between the motorcycle pic in the first grey box and the
accompanying text (on the sides, not bottom), and that text starts a couple
lines down from the top of the box, probably because of the placement of
the image
3. Looking at the nonlethal.com News box, there seems to be very little
space there, almost inevitable that scrolling will occur. Any way to lose
some of those dotted lines? Fit more info into the viewable space?
4. World News - I think you've mixed up the weights for the headline and
the source. Which is more important? Surely the headline (to me anyways).
But the source is what shows as bolded.
5. Because of the placement of the footer, with smaller browser windows, it
slides over the grey left column.
6. Personally I think there's just too much grey on the site. The bar along
the left, the borders and heads of the content boxes, the text. I'm not
saying splash colour all over, it just looks rather... grey.
7. Does that first square ad on the left say that Amazon.com is on sale for
$49.99????? Wow. I didn't realise things had gotten so bad. ;-)
8. I've got absolutely no idea what the bottom line of the 2nd ad says,
even after staring at it, inches from the monitor for a couple minutes.
"Saw It Today" "Ask It Today" "Sum It Today"? oh... right... "Buy It
Today". Obviously.
9. On the 'Current Set Configuration' page, the black text on maroon in the
tables is awfully hard to read, and may likely be illegible to people with
certain variants of colour-blindness. Though maybe colourblind folks
shouldn't be playing with those kinds of toys? ;-)

That's all I can see for now.

regards.
-marc