[thelist] CF: Advanced? How do you know?

{ schaapy } list01 at theparagon.org
Wed Jul 31 21:40:01 CDT 2002

> If you were looking for a developer to partner with, or contract out to,

I'll just say that creating a partnership probably isn't the best thing to
do unless you're talking to Investors and/or going to be offering stocks.
Otherwise I usually suggest subcontracting. Subcontracting is great because
you can get a couple different people working for ya at different time -
depending on what you need per project.

Email me (off list) if this is something you would like to know more about.

> what are the benchmarks that you would use to determine whether or not his
> is advanced? What are some of the questions you would ask him or her
> (rather than giving a test. Tests to prove your mettle, but tests aren't
> something you give until you're pretty convinced that this person might
> indeed be advance).
> Frank Marion
> framar at interlog.com

I always like to look at their background and then their portfolio. If they
don't have either then I'm a bit curious. Code portfolio doesn't mean they
should show you a bunch of code - they should be able to show you different
apps they have worked on/ created and be able to explain what it does, what
language(s) they used to create it and why and hopefully other things.

If they are a designer and don't have a portfolio ask them to create a
mockup on a site you're working on or going to be working on.

There's other things you could ask but I'm not quite sure what kind of
person this is and what he'll be doing for ya. I would start with the above
though..........