[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)]

Kevin B. O'Brien ahuka at ahuka.com
Thu Aug 1 00:34:01 CDT 2002

At 03:03 PM 7/31/2002 -0700, Hassan Schroeder said something remarkably
like (but somehow subtly different from):

>The Director of MARCOM and the VP of Marketing put their pointy
>little heads together and decide the middle word of the name of
>the new product line will appear bold and red in all instances,
>including online.
>
>That certainly doesn't constitute "meaning" in my sense of the word,
>though it's not exactly random either :-)

That is pretty close to the example I have used for when <b> is actually
preferable to <strong>. If it is purely a visual element with no semantic
meaning at all. The example I have used is when someone decides that the
company name will always appear in italics. This obviously does not mean
anything is being emphasized, so I would use <i> in preference to <em>.

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
ahuka at ahuka.com
"A sportsman is a man who, every now and then, simply has to get out
and kill something." -- Stephen Leacock

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/