[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Thu Aug 1 07:37:01 CDT 2002

Mark Howells wrote:
 >> when i press b button on properties or ctrl+ b at dw mx, its
 >> writing <strong> tag but i dont want this.... cause i have used <b>
 >>  tag on the other place while i was use ultradev 4...

No, they aren't.

 > stating bold text, means that the text will have no special emphasis
 > in non-visual browsers, where <strong> will. The W3C recommendation
 > is that you

That's certainly correct, though :-).  <b> is *not* the equivalent of
<strong>, but rather <span style="font-weight: bold;">.  Of course,
browsers like Lynx will still render <b> as <strong>, simply because too
many people have been stupid/ignorant/not cared[0] that <b> is not
<strong> and a lot of meaning may be lost as a result.

 > use <strong> or <em> to emphasise text.

I can't say on this point, but it sounds like something they'd recommend :-)

[0] Actually, option "c" is more likely - by several orders of
     magnitude.  Please, before you send hate mail, remember I'm probably
     not calling you stupid, but merely apathetic and/or lazy :-)

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999